Friday, January 9, 2015

Slice #1

The Bird

I glanced at the wood deck.  It was, like everything, covered by a shimmering blanket of snow.  I could almost feel the cold wind brush my cheeks and I shivered in my pajamas despite all the blankets over my bed. I sipped my tea and looked out the window, excited for a day of sledding with my sleeping sisters.  That’s when I saw the bird.  At first it was just a streak of blue in the cold morning air.  But then the bird landed.  Right on the snow covered aspen tree.  He looked at me watching him.  He was covered in shiny blue feathers.  His eyes darted around the landscape.  Beautiful and barren.  In the grasps of winters cold hands.  The birds beady eyes rested on my staring face; then he took off.  The streak of his wings brushed the air with blue once again and just like that he was gone.  The lone bird of winter took off and left me watching a white branch.  Startled, I wondered what a bird was doing in the cold.  All the other birds had hidden or left.  I wondered was this bird lonely?  Cold?  Tired?  Or excited as I was about the large snowfall?  And with those thoughts still in my head I dozed off in my nice warm bed and dreamed about the blue bird.     

5 comments:

  1. I like the picture you painted in my head. I really can feel the cold!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow great slice Sophie! I loved it!!!
    Really painted a picture in my head!
    -Nikki

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a beautiful memory, Sophie, & as the first 'slice', connects so well to the look of your blog. Nice! I love these lines: "The streak of his wings brushed the air with blue once again"

    ReplyDelete
  4. this was a great SOL. I love how you focosed on a small aspect of the morning that oculd be meaningless to some people but you made it something speacial.

    ReplyDelete