Thursday, February 5, 2015

Slice #5

The Caramel
I grab all of the ingredients.  I mix the cream, vanilla, butter and salt in a pot and start the heat.  I stir slowly and watch them bubble.  Then I have to make the syrup - the hardest part.  I mix corn syrup and sugar in a separate pot.  I make sure the candy thermometer is working.  I stir constantly so the syrup doesn't burn, but not too fast or it won't work.  I keep a watch on the thermometer.  It creeps to 150 degrees and then starts to climb faster - 200, 250 and finally 310.  I'm there.  I very quickly get it off the burner.  I add it to the cream and butter mixture, hoping I got the temperature right, because if not, it will just be slop.  It starts to thicken.  I breathe a sigh of relief.  I pour it into a pan and it sits overnight, as my whole family tries to sneak tastes.  Finally, it's done.  A little soft but tastes great.  Not perfect but good for a first try!










Photo Credit: <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/72636606@N08/7678787478">Day 59</a> via <a href="http://photopin.com">photopin</a> <a href="https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nd/2.0/">(license)</a>

9 comments:

  1. Sounds like a fun experience! I've never made caramel before, but it sounds hard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really fun. It sounds a lot harder than it is

      Delete
  2. oooohhhhh sounds super fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed your slice. Have you tried making carmel again?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You!!! I have made caramel a couple times

      Delete
  4. I love carmel! I cant wait to get my braces off so I can eat carmel

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good job. The first time I made candy it died.

    ReplyDelete