Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Slice #11 of 31 March Challenge


Kindred by Octavia Butler -Week #2
“Today and yesterday didn’t mesh. I felt almost as strange as I had after my first trip back to Rufus - caught between his home and mine.”-Edana Franklin 
As Rufus grows up in the harsh environment he was born into Dana quickly sees a change in him. Dana continues to be sent forward and backwards in time to help Rufus.  She gets to know all the slaves well especially Alice who is carrying Rufus's child - one of her ancestors.  She tries to help Rufus and he is not nearly as hard on her as the other slaves but he still has her whipped several times.  It comes to a point where Dana must decide between his life and her own.
I enjoyed this book.  I like the plot and settings and I think the concept is fascinating.  I also enjoyed that the author combined historical fiction with science fiction.  I was shocked by the way the book ended.  This book contains crude language, torture, racism, death, murder, and talks of sexual harassment  For these reasons I would recommend this book to grades six and up.  



No comments:

Post a Comment