Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Slice #4 of 31 March challenge

Kindred by Octavia Butler
“I don’t have a name for the thing that happened to me, but I don’t feel safe any more.“
-Edana Franklin
26 year old Edana (Dana) Franklin is a black woman from the late 20th century.  She and her husband Kevin have just moved in together when she is suddenly transported back in time to the antebellum south in 1815 to save a small, red-haired boy named Rufus.  She quickly realizes that Rufus is her ancestor and so she continues to help him.  With slavery at every turn, her trips back in time become more and more dangerous Dana wonders whether her life will end before it can begin.  
This book is interesting but also intense.  This book contains crude language, torture, racism, and talks of sexual harassment.  I like that the author mixed historical fiction with science fiction.  I think the characters were well thought out and I liked that some were more mysterious.  I would reccomend this to grades six and up.

7 comments:

  1. This sounds like a great book. Who is your favorite character and why?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you are enjoying the book, Sophie. I believe it's so creative (as you wrote) to mix historical & science fiction.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like your writing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you completely. Awesome summary. I'm looking forward to seeing how the book ends.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a great book! Should i read it. I liked your summary, you described it really well. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Should i read it." should have a question mark sorry.

      Delete