Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Slice # 18 of 31 March Challenge

Fish In A Tree by Lynda Mullaly Hunt
“Everybody is smart in different ways. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its life believing it is stupid.”
-Albert Einstein

Ally lives in a world full of words that she can't read and teachers who don't understand.  Ally makes trouble to avoid work and to avoid looking stupid.  When the class's new teacher Mr. Daniels comes Ally thinks he will be just as bad as all the rest of her teachers - until she meets him.  Mr. Daniels is not like other teachers.  He has a different way of teaching.  He figures out that Ally's real problem is something called dyslexia.  It jumbles up words in her brain and makes it hard for her to read and write.  He comes up with fun ways to make it easier for Ally and she actually starts to enjoy school.  With her new friends Ally is finally happy.  She realizes that with a little help the impossible can become possible.  

I really enjoyed this book.  I love the story.  I think the characters were really fun and relatable and I think Ally's experience and her struggles are relatable as well.  I can also relate to having an amazing teacher who changes your life.  I think the plot moved at a good pace and I think that the author has a great style of writing that I really love.  The only thing that I did not like about this book is the characters are a little bit younger so their teacher calls them "Fantasticos" which I did not like.  I would recommend this to grades 5 and up.  I have included the book trailer below if anyone is curious.   

1 comment:

  1. I wanted to read this because I love Lunda Mullaly Hunt! Now I will read it for sure because I liked your description. :-)

    ReplyDelete